LRC runners were out in force for the Staffordshire Knot 5 mile off road race on one of the hottest days of the year so far.
The men weren’t lucky enough to take home the team trophy this year, finishing in third place, but both Richard Bravington & Steve Rivers won cash prizes: Richard finishing 5th and Steve winning his age category. The first club female team also came in third. Not only was there beer at the finish, all runners took home a gym towel, which probably came in handy on the journey home!
Alan Pritchard has now stepped down as our Club Chairman, as due to his wife getting a job in South Wales, he will have to leave the area to settle there. I’m sure you all wish him and his wife, Adella, all the luck in the world in their new adventure.
This sadly meant him stepping down from his position, so until the next AGM, and in order to keep taking the Club forward, I will take on that role, whilst Ann Schwarzenbach will take on Club Secretary role, and Andy Parker will take on the Membership Secretary role. Tim Thacker will continue in his current role a Club Treasurer. All new positions will be reviewed and voted on at our AGM.
As part of taking on the Chairman’s role, I will try to keep members updated with all the hard work your Club Committee and other members are continuing to complete.
So see below for this period’s update:
This month, we paid £1000 as a charity donation to Saxon Hill School. This was raised from last year’s 10km Road Race. We continue to need help from all members, so if you haven’t volunteered yet to assist on the weekend of 7-8th September, please do so.
We had a great turnout of 13 teams at the Showground Relays; although it was very wet, all still enjoyed the night, with special mention to two teams finishing in top ten finishers. Full results will be posted when we have confirmed them. But bear in mind there were issues with the results due to wet conditions, so we don’t have them yet.
Approximately 50 club members attended the nutrition information talk on June 18th, held at Saxon Hill. Lots of good information was passed onto our members. Thanks to Dan Floyd for sorting; be aware we may put on more talks if members want, so make sure you pass on your feedback to Club leaders.
A great turnout this morning at the Aldridge 10k road race; many yellow club vests were in evidence, with LRC coming second behind Sneyd Striders for the highest number of club finishers.
There were superb performances from our runners, many of whom achieved 10k and course PBs. Individual achievements included: Matthew Orford finishing in second place; Phil Sutcliffe retaining his age category title despite having run in the Uganda Marathon only a couple of weeks previously and Claire Wheat winning her age category, achieving a PB in the process. Club runner Charlotte Aspley was also interviewed by BBC WM Radio about her marathon running journey.
It was a warm start to the undulating hilly course and runners were thankful for the spot of rain half way round. The support throughout the run was very welcome; no more so than approaching the finish, where the LRC cheerleaders were in fine voice!
Many thanks to Aldridge Running Club for organising such a professional and enjoyable event.
Lichfield Half Marathon took place on 12th May, with a strong club presence amongst the competitors and excellent performances all round. First home for the men was Richard Bravington, who finished in 6th position overall. First female for the club was Jo Palmer, finishing in 60th position and 4th female. Huge congratulations to all who took part and thanks to the many supporters on the route.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) will take place on 27th November. Please find agenda below.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2018
October Update for LRC Members
- LRC 35th anniversary meal is fast approaching. Please confirm with Ann by tomorrow if you want to attend. It’s set to be a great night! Start time is 7pm.
- Phil Sutcliffe is our new Kit Manager. Please speak to Phil if you need to order any kit.
- Our Annual General Meeting (AGM) is scheduled for 27th November 2018. Please come along and hear an update on everything that happened in 2018 including the results of our competitions. This is also your chance to nominate someone for the club trophies including the Presidents Trophy for outstanding club contribution and the Mike Green Trophy for outstanding running achievement. Note - you must attend the AGM to nominate someone. The voting for nominees will be done in the two weeks afterwards via email.
- Have you received a rejection letter for the London Marathon? LRC offers a ballot to allow 1 lucky runner to gain a place and run this iconic event. Please see the Rules section on the website should you want to be considered to enter the ballot. The lucky runner will be announced at the AGM.
- Our beginners course starts on 17th October. See the website for full details. The beginner’s session starts at 6.20 (for a 6.30 start) – 7.15pm, so this is before the main Wednesday club night. Please let us know if you can help – your support is much appreciated as we were all newbies once.
Thanks and happy running
To celebrate 35 years of LRC, a family fun day was held in May and what a day it was!
The sun was shining, we ate picnic food, played team games and had a fabulous time.
Thank you LRC for providing members and their families with strawberries and cream and the lovely ladies that baked cakes, making our afternoon tea so delicious.